Sunday, January 3, 2010

Vegetable Seasoning (SCD, GFCF)


Our food dehydrator has been a wonderful kitchen tool. I'm beginning to experiment with using dehydrated vegetables as seasoning. My husband thinly chopped a batch of carrots and celery and dried them at 135 degrees until crisp (about 14 hours). I used an electric coffee grinder and ground them, a little at a time, into a fine powder with small bits. I combined equal parts of carrots and celery and used them as a seasoning in a cracker recipe. The results were great. In the future I'm hoping to try out different veggies, like spinach. Plus, we have to hide all veggies in our son's food and this is a great way to do it. If you do not have a dehydrator but would like to try this, Honeyville sells cans of freeze dried veggies. I have not tried theirs but it would probably be the same. You can purchase almond flour from them as well.

2 comments: