Thursday, March 18, 2010

Spinach Egg Soup (SCD)



The other day I had a cooked chicken in the fridge and planned on using it in a salad. The weather changed to cold and rainy and I found myself going through Barbara Kafka's "Soup A Way of Life", looking for something warming and homey. I found this lovely recipe, called "brodo con straciatella". It makes "strings" of eggs using a combination of eggs, flour and Parmesan cheese allowed to drip through a strainer into hot broth. I tried it, minus the flour, and found it much easier to just drip it off a spoon. I've altered the recipe by adding chicken and using frozen spinach.

2 Eggs
3 TBSP Parmesan Cheese, very finely grated
Dash of salt
4 cups Rich Chicken Broth, salted to taste
10 oz Frozen Spinach, chopped very fine (no need to thaw)
1 or 1 1/2 cups Chicken, cooked and diced fine

Combine eggs, cheese and a dash of salt in a cup. In a large pot heat broth to boiling, add spinach and heat through. Drizzle egg mixture in with a spoon. Add chicken and heat through, about one minute.

Serves 3 or 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment