Wednesday, February 3, 2010

'Nana Bread (SCD, GFCF)



This is a favorite I had been making for years in my gluten days, luckily it comes out beautifully with almond flour. My little boy calls it 'nana bread.

2 1/2 cups Almond Flour
1 teas Baking Soda
1/2 teas Sea Salt
2 small or 1 large Banana, very ripe
1/3 cup Honey
1/4 cup Butter, melted (for cf use 1/4 cup Oil)
3 Eggs, lightly beaten
Zest from 1 Orange or Tangerine or 2 Clementines
1 teas. Vanilla Extract
1 teas. Lemon Juice
2 teas. Cinnamon
1/2 cup dried Cherries or Cranberries (optional)
1/2 cup Pecans, chopped (optional)

Oven preheated to 345 degrees. Grease a 4" X 7" loaf pan (I use Ghee).

In a small bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda and salt.

In a large bowl, mash bananas. Add honey and melted butter, stir until combined. Add eggs, vanilla and lemon juice and mix. Add zest and cinnamon. Blend in flour mixture and combine. Stir in dried fruits and chopped nuts (optional). Pour into prepared pan and place in oven. Bake 40-50 minutes. Test with a toothpick.

I am in the habit of putting my loaf pan on an aluminum cookie sheet while baking so I'm not sure how that affects the cooking time. Too many years of experimenting and having pans overflow has given me this habit.

4 comments:

  1. I am making this today!! Just what I need in this cold weather, I am going to close my eyes and pretend I am on a beach in Hawaii as I eat it! Thanks for the recipe, and please email me your address so I can ship your almond flour, I tried your email through Google but haven't heard from you.
    Thanks!!
    Kbaldwin1492@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be careful as most dried cherries and cranberries contain sugar. Ask!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dry the cherries myself in a dehydrater. Remove pits, cut in half and dry for several hours, I want to say it takes at least 12 hours on about 135 degrees. They dry beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my fiance with crohns has been eating this every morning for breakfast for a couple of weeks now and loves it. thanks for the recipe! it was fun to make!

    ReplyDelete