Saturday, May 2, 2009

Pound Cake (SCD)

This cake is great with strawberries! I've adapted this recipe from William Sonoma's "Savoring Desserts".

8 Large Egg Whites, room temperature
Pinch of Sea Salt
1/3 cup Honey
3 cups Almond Flour
3 TBSP. Vegetable Oil (I use Macademia Oil when I have it)
1/4 teas. Almond Extract (SCD Legal if you're SCD)

Oven 350 degrees. Butter a 4-cup ring mold. I have not tried this recipe in a loaf pan so it may need cooking time adjusted if your using one.

In a mixing bowl whip the egg whites and salt to soft peaks. Add honey and beat until it's stiffer. Fold in almond flour, oil and extract. Pour into prepared pan. Bake until slightly golden and it tests with a toothpick. About 25-35 minutes.

I buy my Almond flour online at Lucy's Kitchen Shop or Honeyville. Whenever I am in the Fort Worth area I get it at the Vending Nut Company. The "Bob's Red Mill" brand sold in stores is too pricey and course.

4 comments:

  1. not 100% relevant but Trader Joe's has VERY inexpensive almond flour - $4.00 for 1lb. I make a special trip to Trader Joe's to get it from there. It's not blanched but I don't mind that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hannah. Oh how I wish Texas would get a Trader Joe's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son's pediatric allergist suggested we put him on the SCD diet. I am trying out recipes to see what he will eat before we start. This was a huge success. I made half a batch and baked it in a small loaf pan. It was devoured in but 10 minutes and my son just said "that cake was GOOD right Mom?" Thank you.

    ReplyDelete