Monday, April 19, 2010

Cheesey Sunflower Crackers (SCD)



In honor of Autism Awareness month these crackers are puzzle shaped. I ordered these adorable shape cutters from the Amazon store on Melissa's Another Lunch blog.

This recipe is right out of Dana Carpender's 500 Low-Carb Recipes. It's been one of our favorite cracker recipes and can beat any prepackaged cracker. I pre-soaked and dried the sunflower seeds for better digestibility.


1 1/2 cups Sunflower Seeds, raw and shelled
6 oz Cheddar Cheese, grated (I use Alta Dena's Goat Cheese, cheddar style)
1/2 teas. Salt, plus more for tops
1/4 cup water
Chili Powder or
Coriander and Paprika
Dried Parsley, optional

Two cookie sheets, three pieces of parchment paper cut to size of cookie sheets, rubber spatula

To improve digestibility I place sunflower seeds in a mixing bowl and cover with water. Let sit 8 hours or overnight. Rinse very well. Place in a dehydrator and dry at 125 degrees for about two hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add sunflower seeds to food processor and pulse until very fine and flour-like. Add cheese and salt and pulse a few times to combine. Add 1/4 cup of water and pulse until mixture forms a ball. I pat into two balls, placing each between two sheets of parchment paper and rolling out to a thin wafer thickness. Peel off top paper and sprinkle with salt and chili powder (or coriander and paprika). Sprinkle with dried parsley (optional). Score into squares with a spatula. Bake about 30 minutes, checking after 25 minutes. Let cool before breaking into squares.

4 comments:

  1. Oh these are perfect! I was looking for a cracker to try with the dehydrator. I get a really nice raw cheddar cheese and would prefer not to cook it. I'm definitely going to try these this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat, oops, I forgot to put oven temperature. But I have seen recipes for them to be done completely in the dehydrator. I have not tried them that way, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I saw 125, is that in C or F? Hmm, ok well maybe I will try them anyways and let you know how it turns out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, I think my eyes are blurry. Now I see the oven directions. I really need to stop flash-reading recipes!

    ReplyDelete