Sunday, November 15, 2009

Flavorful Holiday Turkey (SCD, GFCF)


Here's my holiday turkey secret. It hasn't failed me yet. Herbes de Provence is an herb blend from the south of France. It is wonderful on poultry and is a mix of marjoram, rosemary, sage, savory, thyme, lavender, basil, parsley and sometimes fennel, chervil and garlic. If you can't find Herbes de Provence, than any combination of three or more of those herbs would work nicely. The mayo holds the herbs on the turkey and keeps it moist.

One turkey, thawed, cleaned and ready to roast
1 or 2 Oranges, each cut into about 6 wedges
1 Onion, cut into about 6 wedges
A couple stalks of Celery, diced into big pieces, or even BETTER use the Celery Leaves
Herbes de Provence
1/3 to 1/2 cup Mayonnaise

Place turkey in roasting pan. Stuff cavity with orange and onion wedges, and celery. Sprinkle some herbs inside. With a spatula, lightly spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on entire turkey. Sprinkle with herbs. Roast according to directions on package.

For homemade SCD legal mayo recipes: SCD Recipes

2 comments:

  1. Mayo? I'm going to try it. I always put some sort of oil or butter on the turkey only to have it melt right off. I just don't see the use in that. The mayo sticks better, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I have found the mayo sticks very well. Let me know how it works out for yu.

    ReplyDelete