Sunday, September 27, 2009

Go Ahead Honey, It's Gluten-Free- Wish Upon A Star Burgers with Looney Sauce


Go Ahead Honey ...It's Gluten-Free, is a web event that's has a different theme each month. This month's host is Katrina of Gluten Free Gidget. The theme: Dinner with Disney.
My recipe was originally inspired by a hectic morning. I am not a morning person. Well, actually I'm just not a weekday morning person. My son G takes breakfast and lunch to school. It's just too early for me to be creative. This is one of my morning tricks, and it's sooo easy! The sauce is my take of "Fry Sauce", a local favorite at about any fast food joint in Salt Lake City , Utah. That's where I lived as a teenager. I am not a ketchup fan but I did like fry sauce. The name of the sauce isn't from Disney. Whenever my son has a favorite balloon he calls it "Looney" and plays with it just like a stuffed animal.

For the burgers:

In the frozen section of the meat department in any grocery store purchase 100% all beef frozen patties, keep frozen until use.
Metal star shaped cookie cutter and a steak knife

Looney Sauce:

2 TBSP. Mayonnaise (for SCD use homemade)
3 TBSP Ketchup (for SCD use homemade)
2 TBSP Carrots, cooked and pureed

Fry hamburger patties over medium heat until cooked through. Transfer to a plate. When cool enough to handle place cookie cutter on patty, press down with one hand and cut away with the other.

For the sauce: whisk mayo and ketchup until smooth. Then whisk in carrot puree.

For homemade SCD legal mayo recipes: SCD Recipes

For homemade SCD legal Ketchup: SCD Girl and SCD Recipes

4 comments:

  1. That is such a cute and clever combo. I bet your son loves this meal! :-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know of any kid who wouldn't want to eat these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! It's amazing what we come up with when trying to get our kids to eat. I also want him to have fun with his food. A special diet dosen't mean boring!

    ReplyDelete