Thursday, May 26, 2011

Grain-Free Fig Bars - SCD


I've had bars on the brain. We have a family reunion coming up soon and bars are the perfect take along dessert. If you like Fig Newtons, you'll like these. However, they are soft like a "blondie"  rather than a cookie.

This is also my submission for this month's Go Ahead Honey It's Gluten-Free, hosted this month by Raj and Sonia of Flip Cookbook. The theme is Garden Tea Party. I thought these would be perfect, since they are a sweet nibble, perfect for tea. Right now in Texas it's ice tea season, but I think they will still go just fine.

Grain-Free Fig Bars

Filling:
 7 or 8 ounces of Dries Figs, stems removed (I used Black Mission Figs)
1/4 cup Water
1/4 cup Honey

Batter:
2 cups Almond Flour
1/2 teas. Sea Salt
1/2 teas. Baking Soda
1/3 (5 TBSP) Butter, melted
1/3 cup Honey
2 Eggs
1 teas. Vanilla Extract


Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter an 8" x 8" baking pan.

To make fig filling, remove stems from figs and add to a food processor with water and honey. Process until smooth. The goal is to make it smooth and spreadable, but somewhat thick. If it is too thick thin with another teaspoon of water.

To make the batter, in a medium mixing bowl combine almond flour, sea salt and baking soda. In another bowl stir butter and honey until smooth. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Stir into flour mixture. Spread half of the batter into the prepared baking dish. Drop fig filling onto batter by tablespoons and carefully spread:



Now, carefully spread the remaining batter on top:

Bake for about 45 minutes. You will need to check the center of the top for doneness, as the bars will look fully cooked but this area may still be a bit gooey. Store in the refrigerator.

This post is also linked to Fight Back Fridays, Traditional Food Tuesday Blog Hop, Real Food Weekly, and Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.

14 comments:

  1. I make a very similar version of this but I'll have to try your recipe, they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOhhhhh,I love fig newtons! I have a gazillion recipes to try, but must add this to my pile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love .. really LOVE.. fig newtons. Used to eat them all the time before I went GF SF. Definitely will be trying these soon. Quick question - did the edges "seal" by themselves or did you have to do something special?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies!

    Raj, I spread the fig filling to about 1/4 inch away from the edge, but spread the top layer of batter completely to the edge, which seals it, but it would probably be fine without the seal, just stickier to clean the pan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredible looking filling of all those figs! I too am a fig newton lover. Great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow this looks soo scrumptious! love how it is grain free :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I featured your recipe on my post today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look incredible Tracee! Succulent and toothsome, yum! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made my day with this post. Can't wait to try these!
    Nicole @ Special Diet Creations

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are fantastic. I use coconut oil to make them dairy free and bake in a round pie plate to make pretty wedge pieces. Also skip the honey in the filling but keep it in the batter. People love these and appreciate a healthy dessert when I bring them places. Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Kate. I will have to try them without the honey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've made these twice for tea parties and people want the recipe. It's not too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got a chance to finally check comments, and found your lovely feedback. Thank you.

      Delete