Sunday, March 21, 2010

Moist and Simple Coconut Cake (SCD)


Sometimes the most simple and humble dish can take you by surprise. My cousin Julie has a recipe for "Crustless Coconut Pie" that I was trying to recreate and I came up with this instead. It's a very moist cake, nothing fancy, and yet it can hold it's own against fancier desserts. If you like coconut and comfort food I think you'll enjoy this. It is also my submission for this month's "Go Ahead Honey...It's Gluten-Free" hosted by Amy at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free. This month's theme is Guiltless Pleasures.

2 Eggs
1/3 cup Honey
1 cup Coconut Milk
2 TBSP Butter, melted
1/2 teas Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Almond Flour
1/2 teas. Baking Soda
1/4 teas. Sea Salt
1 cup Shredded Coconut, unsweetened

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I used a Pyrex pie pan.

In a small bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda and salt.

In a large mixing bowl whisk eggs until frothy. Whisk in honey, coconut milk, melted butter and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture. Stir in coconut until well combined. Pour into pie pan and bake about 25 to 30 minutes, until golden.

Note: If you are following the SCD for health reasons be aware that many brands of coconut milk contain gums that can irritate your gi tract. Trader Joe's brand, as of this writing, is suppose to be safe. Coconut milk can also be easily made from shredded unsweetened coconut. Here is a recipe at Assoc. Content

12 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful! I wonder how it would work with coconut oil and coconut flour? We haven't adde butter back in yet and I have the coconut flour on hand.
    Looks like a MUST TRY to me!! Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Andrea about the coconut flour. I'm sensitive to almond flour, so I'm going to have to switch to coconut flour.

    I'm surprised to see so many SCD blogs on the internet! I just began one of my own: http://www.freetofeast.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would think that coconut flour would work just fine. Let me know how it works out. My son can't have coconut, but I do make coconut dishes for my husband and I, because it's one of my favorites, but I don't purchase coconut flour or oil, maybe one day. It sounds delicious.

    Yes, I love all of the SCD blogs popping up! I'm so glad to hear you have one too. If you check out the SCD Database there are many listed, you may want to list yours there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks lovely, moist and light. I bet it would be delicious with some berries and a dollop of strained yogurt, or with some bananas fried in butter, or toasted and drizzled with honey and sandwiched together with banana icecream.....drool....

    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so yummy (I love coconut) and easy (a big bonus for me) - I can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love coconut and all things made with almond flour. This is the perfect cake for me :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fantastic, Tracee! As soon as I get my next supply of almond flour, I'm making this one for sure. :-) I love all things coconut and almond!

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, I finally tried this recipe this past weekend. It was sooooo good. Unfortunately I had a reaction (to the honey or coconut) so I had to give the rest of the cake to my hubby. So not fair!

    Shel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shel, I'm sorry! I hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious! Just a warning, make sure you don't let the mixture sit in the pie pan for any length of time before popping it in the oven. On my first try the ingredients separated out a bit (flavor was still good but it was a bit eggy on the bottom.) Second attempt was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Nicola, I have noticed that SCD baked goods in general need to go in the oven right awasy.

    ReplyDelete